In SWOOP you can do analysis on messages that are associated with hashtags, topics, or keywords. You do this via the Topic dashboard.
What is the difference between hashtags, topics, and keywords?
Hashtags: Start with a # and will appear in Yammer as highlighted text.
Topics: Are added by the user to a message in Yammer
Keywords: Are extracted from the message content by SWOOP
Searching for hashtags, topics, and keywords
When you enter some text in the search box, SWOOP will return a set of matching hashtags, topics, and keywords. For each search result you will see either “(Hashtag)”, “(Topic)”, or “(Keyword)” after each result so it is easy to tell what type it is.
Improving search for hashtags
The search feature works in a slightly different way for keywords/topic versus hashtags:
- Keywords: SWOOP stores the keywords and it is possible to do a ‘starts with’ search on keywords, so when you search for ‘lemon’ it will also return ‘lemonade’, 'lemongrass', etc.
- Topics: As you type text in the text box in SWOOP, SWOOP is also performing a search in Yammer on your behalf to see if there is a topic that starts with your search term. Similar to what happens with keywords, Yammer returns ‘starts with’ results.
- Hashtags: As you type text in the search box SWOOP is also performing a search in Yammer on your behalf to see if there is a matching hashtag, but the search performs differently. When you search for ‘lemon’ it will only return show a result if there is a hashtag called ‘lemon’ and will not return ‘lemonade’.
SWOOP Admins can improve the hashtag searching by allowing SWOOP to store the textual content of the hashtag. The SWOOP Admin will need to log in to the SWOOP data miner and then tick the box:
Once the option has been ticked, SWOOP will start storing hashtags from that point forward. Raise a support request if you would like for historic messages to be included as well.
Hashtags and topics for messages prior to December 2020
In November 2020 Yammer announced upcoming changes to the way hashtags and topics were managed. As the article outlines, the changes meant that topics and hashtags were separated as two different things.
The changes were implemented gradually but seem to have been finalised in January 2021. If your Yammer network contains messages from before January 2021, please note the following:
- Messages posted before the change
Messages posted before the change that include hashtags are categorised in SWOOP as topics. This is because Yammer didn't have a special 'hashtag' category. In essence, topics and hashtags were the exact same thing.
- Messages posted after the change
Messages posted after the change that include hashtags are categorised in SWOOP as hashtags. You will see this in SWOOP when you perform a search on the Topics dashboard. If one of the search results is a hashtag, then SWOOP will show this. For example, if you search for "ilovehashtags" SWOOP will show "ilovehashtags (hashtag)" as a search result.
Messages posted after the change that include topics are categorised in SWOOP as topics.