Before you start
If you want to setup SWOOP for SharePoint, you'll need to make sure your M365 Global Admin has turned on the audit log function in M365 Admin. We use this, along with the Microsoft Graph and some tracking code to gather the analytics we process to give you the reports. It will need the Global Admin to authorise the installation in your M365 tenant and you'll need to be at least a SharePoint Admin to configure the tracking code.
You also want to have a list of the SharePoint sites you want to include as your "Intranet". Only sites that are added during the set up phase will be included in the analytic reports.
Step by Step
The video goes through the process of setting up SWOOP for SharePoint.
In simple terms the process is:
- Go to the URL given by to you by our customer success team.
- Select the region you want to store your data
- Complete the fields for the details of what you want the reporting site to be named, along with your organisational details
- Once completed, check your tenant details and click next.
- It may take a few minutes to process before you are asked to consent to the miner being activated.
- Clicking on the Start Consent Process for Data Miner will open a new tab with a url of
https://miner-[your_org].swoopanalytics.com/where [your-org] is the name chosen in step 3.
- In the new tab, you will need to log in to M365 using a Global Admin account and accept the permissions when asked
- Once accepted the miner admin page appears. Here you can add the sites you need to include
- Once you've added the sites, choose Save and the click Generate Token. You will see a block of text appear in the SharePoint Configuration box, which will be used to set up the tracking code to only include the sites selected.
- Switch back to the try-sharepoint tab in your browser. The Next button should now be activated, so click through to the next step and then open a new tab to configure SharePoint.
- You now need to install the SharePoint tracking app within your SharePoint environment. As a SharePoint Admin (or Global Admin), go to
https://[your-tenant]-admin.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/online/AdminHome.aspx#/classicFeatureswhere your-tenant is your M365 tenant name.
- In the More Features section, open the Apps
- In the Manage Apps section, choose the SharePoint Store.
- Search for SWOOP in the store search bar
- Select the SWOOP Analytics for SharePoint JS Tracker
- Choose Add to Apps site .
- In the modal box, confirm the data access. It is possible to allow site owners to add the app to individual sites, but to avoid confusion we recommend enabling the app for all sites. Only sites included in the miner list will have analytic data stored.
- Once the SharePoint app is added go to
Where [your_sharepoint_root_url] is your main SharePoint URL.
- From your Miner browser tab, copy the SharePoint Configuration text. In the Tenant Wide Extensions browser tab, click on edit the list and paste the text into the Component Properties column.
- Choose Stop editing this list to save the configuration.
- Go to the try-sharepoint browser tab and click next. You will see a request to grant consent for everyone in your organisation to be able to log into the SWOOP interface using their M365 credentials.
- Your SWOOP for SharePoint site will open in a new tab and it will request you log into Microsoft. You need to log in as a Global Admin to grant the consent. Tick the Consent on behalf of your organisation box and then Accept
- You will get a confirmation in the SWOOP for SharePoint site that the setup is complete. It will take a few hours for the initial mining to take place.
The setup process is now complete and users can access the reports through the URL set up in Step 3.
Please sign in to leave a comment.